Update on CenturyLink DSL Connection Problems

In CenturyLink DSL connection problems I described a problem where my modem would hangup with no pppd exit status whenever my connection was saturated. I suspected a problem at the DSLAM and called CenturyLink support. They agreed to put me on a blacklist of subscribers for whom line-monitoring software causes issues. This had to get approved by a tier 3 technician. While it prevented the problem from happening every time, I still saw connection drops when downloading large files at a high speed. I needed my own solution and it was a bit of a depressing one. My ADSL service is quoted as 12Mbps downlink and dsl_status reports 15.870 Mb/s down / 892 Kb/s up. However, I’ve found through much trial and error that my line is only capable of sustaining 10Mbps. I employed OpenWRT’s qos-scripts to limit my WAN downstream link to 10000kbps. Since then I haven’t seen a connection drop by a simple ‘modem hangup’ with no exit status. I have seen ‘leave showtime’ in the kernel log a few times, which is a similarly terse way of announcing a disconnection, but haven’t tied it to any cause. I have also had LCP timeouts, which is to be begrudgingly expected. I can now download my server backups and other large files without having to constantly monitor my connection, although my effective connection speed is disappointing.

Upgrading to PHP 7 on Debian Sid with WordPress and Tiny Tiny RSS

After doing a dist-upgrade I have PHP7 installed. WordPress itself didn’t immediately break, but wp-cli did:

“Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.”

To fix that I had to install the php7.0-mysql package.

I hadn’t updated Tiny Tiny RSS since it moved off of GitHub, so I had to update its URL:

git remote set-url origin https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss.git

After that I had to do the normal database upgrade by loging in as admin. But then trying to run update_daemon2.php gave the following errors:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /var/www/ttrss/include/functions.php:19
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/ttrss/include/autoload.php(2): require_once()
#1 /var/www/ttrss/update_daemon2.php(12): require_once(‘/var/www/…’)
#2 {main}
thrown in /var/www/ttrss/include/functions.php on line 19

To fix that error I installed the php7.0-mbstring package.

I was then greeted with this error:

Tiny Tiny RSS was unable to start properly. This usually means a misconfiguration or an incomplete upgrade.
Please fix errors indicated by the following messages:

* FEED_CRYPT_KEY requires mcrypt functions which are not found.
* PHP support for DOMDocument is required, but was not found.

You might want to check tt-rss wiki or the forums for more information.
Please search the forums before creating new topic for your question.

These dependencies were fixed by installing the php7.0-mcrypt and php7.0-xml packages.